Early Signs and Symptoms of Hives
Hives, medically known as urticaria, is a rash on the body which leads to the formation of wheals. These wheals are red and itchy elevated areas of the skin, usually with a blanched center.
Hives appear in varying sizes and shapes and often occur suddenly – either as a result of body’s reaction to a certain allergen or for unidentified reasons.
One characteristic of hives is their tendency to quickly change size and place, often in a couple of hours. In most cases, an individual hive does not last longer than 24 hours. So, an outbreak that appears alarming in the morning may be completely gone by afternoon, only to appear in another place later in the day. Because these hives fluctuate so much, it is best to take pictures of hives rash to show it to your doctor for proper diagnosis.
Sometimes, hives result in a swelling beneath the skin. This condition is called angioedema. It is characterized by deep swelling around the lips, eye area, hands, feet, and genitals. These look similar to hives. Your doctor will closely examine your hives pictures and symptoms to determine your case.
Early signs and symptoms of hives
The most common hive symptoms include:
- Slightly raised, red swellings on various parts of the body
- Welts that occur alone or spread over a large area. You can check some pictures of hives rash to know how welts look like.
- Severe itching and irritation
- Swelling that subsides within 24 hours but again appears at a different spot
- Painful swelling around the lips, eyes or inside the throat
- Flaring up of the symptoms due to exposure to heat or exercise
- Persistent for over six weeks, where the symptoms appear and disappear frequently
When to seek professional medical help?
In case you experience hives or angioedema along with the following symptoms, it is imperative that you immediately consult medical help:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling of tongue, face or lips
- Slight discomfort or pain in the chest
It is extremely important to carry your hives pictures along when you visit the doctor. Since the hives keep on fluctuating, the pictures of the rashes will help the doctor to understand your case and suggest the appropriate line of treatment. It thus goes without saying that your pictures of hives rashes play a crucial part in your recovery.